Tuesday, December 13, 2005

10 things you might not know - and coconuts

http://tinyurl.com/byvv3
An article on the South Florida Sun Sentinel website entited Ten things you might not know about Tutankhamun and his times. One for the kids, maybe.

Just one oddity - the article claims that the ancient Egyptians ate coconuts. I have to admit that this is a new one on me. I hunted round a few books which I have on ancient Egyptian food and drink and plant species, and found nothing. So I then had a look on Google. Various coconut websites say that coconuts are mentioned in the Sallier Papyrus. That is somewhat less than helpful given that there are a number of Sallier Papyri, but a search under the papyrus itself, both in books and on Google, brought forth various interesting odds and ends, but nothing about coconunts. So - if anyone out there knows anything about coconuts in ancient Egypt, please let me know.

No comments: