Friday, March 31, 2006

Zahi Hawass - Dig Days

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2006/788/hr2.htm
The occasional "Dig Days" column on the Al Ahram Weekly website by Zahi Hawass this week features his meetings with, and impressions of his friend and colleague Refaat Rozeik: "Several years ago I went to the Egyptian Museum and met its then director, Mamdouh El-Damati. I met a man in his office, a short man with dark skin named Refaat who spoke English with a saidi (Upper Egyptian) accent. After several minutes of conversation, I realised that he was super smart. I understood he had spent most of his life in Cambridge, England, and had married a charming English lady, Ashley, with whom he has a daughter and a son. El-Damati told me that Refaat supplied the museum with computers and other essentials needed for day-to-day activities. He had even sponsored the visits of several curators to the British Museum."

No comments: