Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Bit of a blog update

I thought that a couple of bits of information for regular visitors might be in order.

As Bloomsbury starts early on some days and finishes late on others so the blog is being updated on a "when I have a moment" basis - which turns out to be every other day.

Kat has been the reason that I've been able to keep up with it at all.
Which brings me to the main piece of off-topic news of the week - FABULOUS news.

KAT HAS A NEW JOB - FOR WHICH MANY, MANY CONGRATULATIONS

Obviously Kat nees to sink her energies into her new career so I'm going to have to blog without her (sob!). This will inevitably mean that things will be very patchy around the edges for the next couple of weeks because it will take me longer to gather the news stories without her - and as you know, right now I don't have a lot of time on my hands.

By way of temporary compensation for this lapse on my part I've decided to intersperse the news items of the next two weeks with the occasional special feature, the first of which you've already seen - the notes from the Dirk Huyge lecture. More notes will be updated tomorrow - the lecture notes from John Wyatt's super Bloomsbury lecture. One of Kathryn Piquette's lectures raised some interesting queries re the dating of the Predynastic so I'll be posting a two-parter on how dating is handled in that period. My last feature is a piece about the Petrie's online database, what it offers you and how to get the most out of it. Those are the ones that I know I can deliver as promised because they are already written. Hopefully that will be enough to fill in the gaps betweeen the news posts until the end of Bloomsbury.

Finally, to ITALIAN SPEAKERS a request for help from Kat. She has a 25+ page paper written in Italian which she needs help with translating into English. It concerns the goddess Bastet, so if this is something that you might like to work on with her, please can you let me know? andie@easynet.co.uk


3 comments:

Ray said...

I can't help because I don't understand Italian - beautiful though it as to the ear. But, I do love Bastet and would like to see the result of the translation. Perhaps you could post it?

Anonymous said...

Dear Andie

Helen, an ex-student of the IoA does Italian translations, if you nwant to get in touch with me I can put those concerned together. There otherways to do it as well, which I can go through. More importantly can you call me regarding some unpublished material from the Faiyum and Siwa a.s.ap

Tass

Fouakeh_maah_Eshtaa said...

Hi, I just came across your blog by chance.
I have studied egyptology and I am italian, so if you still haven't found someone to translate the text for you, please let me know.

Best regards,
Giovanna