Monday, April 20, 2009

Cleopatra has 21st Century Defender

CNN (Ben Wedeman)

Today, I met Cleopatra's lawyer. Well, not her lawyer but someone who is determined to defend the legendary queen against centuries of bad publicity.

Kathleen Martinez is a young archaeologist from the Dominican Republic who has toiled for three years on a barren hillside overlooking the coastal highway linking Alexandria with the Libyan border. According to the Egyptian Supreme Council of Antiquities, it's here, at a spot known as Abusir, that the tomb of Marc Antony and Cleopatra might be located.

I met Martinez in a dusty tomb full of bones at the excavation site. She recounted to me that, as a young girl, she listened in on a scholarly discussion in her father's library about Cleopatra.

"They were speaking very badly about her and about her image," she recalled. "I got very upset. I said I didn't believe what they are saying, that I needed to study more about her."

Martinez went on to earn a law degree but continued to be fascinated by the saga of Cleopatra. Four years ago, she managed to convince Zahi Hawass, the untiring director of the Egyptian Supreme Council of Antiquities, to allow her to start excavating at Abusir.

Her fascination with -- and admiration for -- Cleopatra is intense. The last queen of Ancient Egypt, she told me, "spoke nine languages, she was a philosopher, she was a poet, she was a politician, she was a goddess, and she was a warrior."

In short, Martinez believes, Cleopatra was a woman way ahead of her times.

And given that history is written by the victors -- in Cleopatra's case, the Romans -- her press was somewhat less than complimentary. It was "bad propaganda," in Martinez's words. For that reason, she told me, "I want to be Cleopatra's lawyer."

See the above page for the full story.

2 comments:

Timothy Reid said...

Hi Andie

I always enjoy visiting your site including the beautiful photo's by Bob Partridge.

I am one of those who believe there is no burial to be found for Cleopatra VII, Mark Antony and more than likely Cesarean who's mummies would have potentially been used by Octavian's enemies including the Egyptian population as objects of veneration to destabilize Octavian's hold on Egypt.

It may have been more politically sound to have cremated all three and to have thrown their ashes into the Mediterranean.

http://tim-theegyptians.blogspot.com/

Andie said...

Hi Tim

I'm glad you like Bob's photos - it is nice to be able to post them as series focusing on a particular site at a time. Bob has such a big collection that he should be able to keep me going for years!

I hadn't given it much thought but you have to be right about the disposal of the remains of Cleopatra and Marc Antony having been a decision tied up with political motives.

All very fascinating!