Sunday, July 12, 2009

Fiction Review: Amelia Peabody

examiner.com (Faith Acker)

An Englishwoman in Egypt: Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody novels July 10, 4:33 PM In my previous review, I briefly mentioned the Amelia Peabody detective novels, a marvelous series of mysteries that certainly deserve more than a one-line accolade. Written by acclaimed American novelist Elizabeth Peters, the eighteen books in the Amelia Peabody series describe the life of their title character, her family, and their friends. Although the early books occasionaly skip a few years in the saga of Amelia's life, each book usually describes one archaeological season in nineteenth- or twentieth-century Egypt, where Amelia and her husband Emerson excavate tombs, usually in the well-known Valley of Kings. Elizabeth Peters' PhD in Egyptology is evident from the knowledge she brings to descriptions of tombs and artifacts, so that the books are both interesting and informative.

I began the series in media res, with The Last Camel Died at Noon, the sixth book in the series, when the Emersons' precocious son Ramses is already of age and in which the family find themselves stranded and trapped first in the desert and then in a primitive Egyptian society significantly isolated from their comfortable nineteenth-century world. I would not recommend this book to first-time readers of the Peabody sagas, as the sudden explosion of characters and the sight fantastical tilt of this novel are a little extraordinary for Peters' work. Instead, begin at the beginning, The Crocodile on the Sandbank, or any of the novels immediately following (Ramses as a small child is infinitely entertaining).

See the above page for more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I own all 18 books and I and my children have enjoyed the many adventures of Emerson, Amelia and Ramses. They are a very good read and very well written.

Andie said...

A couple of years ago I sat on a train from Cairo to Ismailia with a friend who spent the entire journey with his head buried in the (then) latest Elizabeth Peters. I couldn't get a word out of him for the entire journey! A very good compliment for the author, I thought! Fortunately he had finnished the book by the time we returned to Cairo :-)

Missy said...

I haven't read the entire series but the ones I have are among my favorite books.

Nicole Gendy said...

I absolutely adore the Amelia Peabody series. I was crushed when I read the last book and knew that the series was over. You definitely have to read them in order!