Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Well it made me laugh

I have been given a big collection of unwanted National Geographic magazines by a family friend, and I have been wading through them for articles of interest. Not that it's any hardship to go through them - the photography alone is superb.
One of them, dating to September 1998 has an article about the Valley of the Kings by Kent Weeks. I was leafing through it this evening and came across this lovely exerpt from a TV interview. Here it is:
In 1995, six seasons after we began work in KV 5, a European television reporter visited us. When she asked what we were digging at the moment, I described our work in the 3,600-square-foot pillared hall.
"This is one of the largest pillared halls ever found in an Egyptian tomb," I said.
"Did you also find colored balls?"
I did a double take. "I'm sorry?"
"I mean, were billiard halls common in ancient Egypt?

I had trouble keeping a straight face as the camera rolled. When the inverview was done, I suggested we tape it again, but she declined.

Lovely to see how some journalists really do their homework before conducting an interview!

No comments: