Thursday, March 31, 2011

UNESCO visit to Egypt

Ahram Online (Nevine El-Aref)

Following favourable reports on Al Mary Al Youm and Ahram Online about UNESCO's visit to Egypt (22nd March), Hawass says that UNESCO was upset by the damage that he showed them at sites in northern Egypt.

Following his short visit to Abusir and Saqqara necropolises, Zahi Hawass former minister of state for antiquities affairs launched an appeal asking field marshal Hussein Tantawi, head of the supreme council of army to stop all encroachment on Egypt’s archaeological sites, which reached 500 encroachments during the past two months.

Abusir sits opposite to the famed city of Memphis on the river Nile just before the delta opens.

Hawass told Ahram Online that what shocked him the most during his visit to both necropolises was the damage inflicted on the archaeological sites by neighbour inhabitants since Egypt’s January revolution. . . .

Hawass pointed out that all of these illegal structures were seen by the UNSECO delegation during their visit last week. They were really upset and asked for the immediate removal of these encroachments.

No comments: