It seems that rumours took their toll on the Ministry of State for Antiquities (MSA). A collection of 4,200 Islamic artefacts had been claimed stolen from the Islamic museum in Bab El Khalq, downtown Cairo. The rumour included the transfer of these objects from the museum to the presidential palaces.
Atteya Radwan, head of the museum section at the MSA denies any of this took place. He told Ahram Online that all the objects, whether exhibited or stored in the Islamic museum, are safe and sound and nothing has been transferred to the presidential palaces.
Egypt's antiquities ministry on Monday denied claims in a local media report that 4,200 artefacts were stolen from the Museum of Islamic Art in Cairo during its recent refurbishment.
"Attiya Radwan, Head of the Museums Sector, clarified that no Islamic artefacts have left the museum or have been transferred to the presidential palaces. All are accounted for and in the care and custody of the museum curators," the ministry said in a statement.
No artefacts for which the Egyptian state is responsible are held in any presidential palaces, according to the statement.