Monday, June 07, 2010

New storage magazines in Egypt

drhawass.com (Zahi Hawass)

With photos.

If someone were to ask me what I thought was one of the best things I had done during my term as Secretary General of the SCA, I would say the building of storage magazines all over Egypt. Over the last eight years I’ve supervised the construction of 36 new storage facilities. All of them are equipped with conservation rooms and photography labs, and the objects are stored in a secure and environmentally protected space.

When I became the head of antiquities I was very discouraged by the poor condition of many storage magazines throughout Egypt. For example, there were sixty-five magazines at Saqqara built of mudbrick. They were all very primitive and the antiquities were in danger of being damaged or stolen. Sadly, I found that this was the case all over Egypt. Sometimes when we opened storage magazines on a site, we found that they had not been opened for over 80 years! I found so many objects that were severely damaged, especially wooden pieces that had completely deteriorated. It was the worst thing I had ever seen in my life. For all of these reasons I decided that it was of great importance that we build new storage magazines.

No comments: