Thursday, February 19, 2009

Egyptian archaeologists uncover ancient statues in Luxor

xinhuanet

Egyptian archaeologists on Wednesday uncovered a statue of pharaoh and a bust of the famous woman pharaoh Hatshepsut in the southern city of Luxor, the state MENA news agency reported.

The three-meter Amenhotep statue was "dug out with only one damage in the nose and one in the teeth," said Moustafa el-Waziri, director of the archaeological mission, adding that more antiques would be unearthed in the future.

4 comments:

rymerster said...

Hmm, damage in the teeth? I wasn't aware of any pharonic statue showing teeth - puts an image in my mind of one grinning! In fact - is there any Egyptian art of a human showing the teeth?

Ben Morales-Correa said...

I was about to include the news in my blog when I noticed that note about the teeth. This news merits further investigation for sure.

Andie said...

I misse the teeth completely! You are quite right. How very odd. There have been several reports dotted around the web on the subject but they are all using this one as their source so far. The Egyptian director named is a real person - he is or was the director mentioned in articles connection with the Luxor Vistor centre but I wasn't aware of any excavation that he was supposed to be leading. The teeth could have been something lost in translation? We will just have to wait and see if anything else turns up.

Jane Akshar said...

Mansour Boraik told me last night it is a discovery by Dr Hourig so that means at the Amenhotep III temple.